Friday, February 27, 2009

...........................Just why?

Just why does the school systems have to give families with a disabled/special needs child a hard time?

Well Zach went back to school on Monday and he came home exhausted. Tuesday, he was the same way, but very crooked and complaining his neck hurt from the position he was in and miserable with leg pain. Well Wednesday he came home the same way and I called the nurse to see if he could have his prn order of tylonal and to be repositioned in his wheelchair. Of course they said yes not a problem. Well Thursday am comes and I get a phone call they are concerned about Zachary. They complained about his positioning, and worried he might choke. I was irked right away because i just knew something would get started by making a request. Well I called the head of the school n urses and she totally agreed with me. He should have his prn med, and be repositioned. They also wanted him to have a tray. She said it would do no good so I am not getting him a tray.

Well another day has gone by and supposidely the principle has gotten involved. Obviously because the nurse didn't get anywhere with her supervisor or myself so lets go to the principle. Well they have decided to hold a meeting on Tuesday *(Not Monday) to figure something out. In my opinion they aren't to concerned since the meeting isn't on Monday. I understand the safety of my child, but come on no complaints till i make a request. Well I believe their job is to be there and tend to his needs. Let you know he only goes to school until 11:45. A whopping 3 hours. LOL

I have offered to keep him home but they will have to supply a tutor and they aren't going for that either. So if thats the case whats the problem? I wish I knew.


I have also been nice to this school, but now am making them do a 504 plan for him since he qualifies. I know more about it so they can't get away with saying he doesn't qualify. Thanks to Zachary's room mates mom in Boston who was a lawyer for children with disabilities she has put me on the right track to get these things in place.

Other than that Zachary seems to be doing ok. Just a few minor issues but nothing we can't handle. He can't wait to go back to Boston to see how much longer in the cast. We go back on 3/10.

No comments: