Wednesday, February 23, 2011

.................Surgery Day


Today was a very long day for us here in Boston. We had to be at the hospital by 7 am. Surgery was scheduled for 830. All went smooth until they told Zach he had to take his clothes off and put on their pj's. He did not like that very well and lost control at that point. From that point forward all we heard was him crying (broke my heart), him saying they were going to cut him open with a chainsaw, he was going to rip those clothes off and run out naked (would of been a site). They handed me blue "stuff" to put on in order to take him into the OR. Well he flipped out seeing me in that and said I looked hideous. I must agree with him though. LOL They are so honest sometimes. I carried him in to the OR and held him while they put him to sleep. The hardest part was laying him on the bed and walking out with him. (I can understand how parents feel when they lose a child because it felt like that)


Rob and I went to the cafe quick got some b'fast then sat in the waiting room all day. They updated every 1 1/2 hrs. Dr. Spencer decided to do the tibia rod also so surgery went from 4 hours to almost 7. This way they wouldn't have to do another surgery if it pulled back anymore also. The only problem they had was he had a lot of bleeding. So they had to do a transfusion which then caused some fluid overload from the IV. All is good though because he is urinating great, which they said usually they don't do that so fast. Thats my boy.....always aiming to please.

He is resting peacefully and has been since recovery. He has sipped some AJ, and nods his head to my questions. Hopefully this is a sign he is going to sail right through here. His favorite nurse Danielle will be here on Friday and we requested her already. She took care of him 2 years ago. He will be surprised this time around because the nurse told me she has a belly and is expecting. I can just imagine what he will say to her. His favorite aid Rob isn't here because he is in Med school. Bummer for us but great for him.

Well thats about all for today. I am off to bed since it was a long day, I was up late last night and didn't sleep well.

1 comment:

Melissa and Rielly said...

Glad to hear all is well after the surgery. Zach is such a trooper! I wish him a speedy recovery.