Thursday, March 12, 2009

.....................1st Post Op Appt

Tuesday was Zachary's first post-op appointment. We left Auburn at 6am got to Boston by 1130 and got back on the road to come home all by 3pm. We where home around 930ish. Zachary was very excited to go, but once they told him the cast had to be on another month he wasn't a happy camper. Yepper I said 1 more month. They took the cast off to do xrays, and then sent us right back to the cast room to get it back on again. They used the same cast just cleaned out all the packing stuff and relined it. Then they took straps and taped them to the back part of the cast and put it back on him. He was very hesitant to have the cast cut off, then wouldn't even look at his leg. Which actually looks really good besides being dry. He has aprx. 6 sites which the largest one is no longer than 2 inches. The others seem to be around 3/4-1 inch in length from what we can see. They are covered with steri-strips still. We are allowed to take Zach out of the cast long enough to give him a bath and thats it. I did attempt that task last night even though he fought me all the way. It did bother my back but man he hasn't bathed in 5 weeks I figured it would feel good to him. When it was all done and he was back in his cast he settled down and said it felt good, but he doesn't trust me to do it again. LOL

He is still going to school 1/2 days and nothing has changed at that end either. I still don't understand all of their thoughts, but just looking out for Zachary's sake. I just hate for my little guy to get held back because he is missing so much school due to half days, he has missed many days due to appointments, and his surgery itself, and he struggles as it is. (He is like his momma again!) I really don't think I am asking for a whole lot so I think eventually they will see that (after they get their heads out of their butts) and we can work together.



Here Zachary is right before they cut the cast. As you can tell he was not happy at all.



The cast tech was cutting the cast off here.


There is the top off and getting ready to cut all the inside off of him.


All done and strapped back up. Look how relaxed and comfy he is now.

No comments: